Tuesday 7 March 2017

Drippy Painting and Hand Stitching Today

I knew I wouldn't be able to resist adding some colour to the bee drawings. I wet the paper and then added concentrated dye based colours, letting dark brown, blue and turquoise blend on the page. You can see how wet it all was by the lovely feathered edges of the colours.


At least using such a fluid wash of colour has proved that this pen is totally waterproof! I really ladled the paint on and tilted the book so that it would flow. Sadly, because of my too generous nature, some of it has seeped through the holes of the stitched binding and onto a previous page where it has not improved the drawing. Will I never learn?


The drawing and painting is something I can fit in around other calls on my time as it's so quick. That's more than can be said for the hand stitching I'm adding to this piece. 


It's taking forever but I don't mind that - I always like to have some hand stitching on the go to keep my hands busy. I'm using a heavy cotton sashiko thread from Japan and loving the bold mark it makes even if it is a bit tough on my fingers. The fabric above is a vintage, handwoven piece Laura bought some time ago. I'm sewing lots of other fragments of cloth to it Boro style. Not sure what it will become yet but I'm sure we'll come up with a plan!

Bye for now - Linda x

2 comments:

  1. Always an inspiration seeing what you are working on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robbie - I'll let you see how the stitching progresses when there's something to show!

    ReplyDelete